Know Your Rights!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Know Your Rights!

Post by BC Williams on Tue 24 Jun 2008, 8:10 pm

I gave the BBC all rights to my poem except the copyright!

A few years ago, I was on the BBC Northeast Wales website, browsing the poetry page. They were taking submissions, so I thought what the heck, it's worth a try. I submitted a query along with my poem, The Dancing Sun, and was excepted. In my beginner's haste and excitement, I neglected to read the fine print and signed away my rights to the piece. Though I retain the copyright and am free to take what I've written and re-publish it somewhere else, they still hold onto some hefty right:

In their Terms of Use, they state:

Paragraph 9

"Where you are invited to submit any contribution to bbc.co.uk (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio) you agree, by submitting your contribution, to grant the BBC a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licenseable right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, play, make available to the public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your contribution worldwide and/or to incorporate your contribution in other works in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your contribution, and in accordance with privacy restrictions set out in the BBC's Privacy Policy."

*Further to paragraph 9,* "by submitting your contribution to bbc.co.uk, you waive any moral rights in your contribution for the purposes of its submission to and publication on bbc.co.uk and the purposes specified above."

READ THE FINE PRINT, FOLKS -

Good Day, bev

Author

http://www.bpoetry.net/

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum